Thursday, February 16, 2012

QUICK,QUICK I NEED A BABY QUILT

This is my just finished piecing project. It is a pattern from the book Allegro by Terry Atkinson whose designs are wonderful and directions are right on. So how will I quilt this? I don't want to distort the straight lines so I will definitely not do straight lines across the quilt. I would consider straight lines from top to bottom. This is fast and keeps the modern look. However, I like to soften the lines by quilting a curvy pattern and crossing the lines with the thread. Baby quilts are great for learning a motif , like feathers. Babies don't care how those feathers look, and I guarantee your feathers will improve by the end of the quilting. I could do flowers also. I do know I will change colors with each row. So I will let it "stew" for a few days and keep you posted on my final decision.
Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Kelly said...

Gorgeous! I LOVE Terry Anderson's patterns and always recommend them to beginners.
For most baby quilts, I do a soft, meandering loop all over. Just a suggestion.

Anonymous said...

What beautiful, bright colors! Lucky baby!!

Quilt Rat said...

LOVE the 3D effect that is happening! Great piece

susan said...

Hello Miss January! I have been trying to figure out how to quilt a baby quilt as well. Its 2=1/2 blocks in pastel colors. I don't want to do a grid...I'd like to do something soft yet something to go with all those straight lines. I was thinking about the circles you did on your 1600 quilt. What sources do you use to provide alternative ideas besides books?

Lisa said...

I like the feathers because a piece like this will be handed down through a family. With feathers it can be used for unisex 20 years from now when she has children. Just my thought. Lisa